Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fresh off the boat

After an overnight flight from Hong Kong, we arrived in Perth at 7am.  Our apartment would not be ready until 2pm, so we decided to take the shuttle bus into central Perth to get set up with mobiles (say "cell phone" and you'll get a funny look), a bank account, and transit cards.  We got 2 of the 3 done.  The bank account would have to wait until we had proof of address in Australia.  I would have to continue clinging onto my money bags for dear life for the next few days.

The good news is that my jailbroken and "unlocked" iphone worked with the new Virgin SIM card I got.  The bad news is that to unlock my iphone, it had to be downgraded to an old iOS that doesn't support most apps.  Well, at least I didn't need to pour another $190 into Rogers' coffers to get it properly unlocked.

Dragging our luggage around the city wasn't as bad as I expected.  Perth is not as crowded as Toronto and there are large pedestrian areas.  People were kind and offered to help us - at least that's what I think they were trying to say in funny-sounding words.  I think I understood about half of what they were saying.  Eventually, we found our way on the train to Fremantle, the city we will be staying in.

Old sign at the Fremantle Maritime Museum.  Fremantle welcomed many boat people to Australia.

Like these children, sent to populate Australia.  Or so the sign at the museum says.  They look as tired as we did arriving in town.

Fremantle is Perth's port harbour, approximately 19km from Perth CBD or "central business district" (they don't say "downtown" here).  Although it is officially it's own city, it feels like a suburb of Perth, like Etobicoke to downtown Toronto.  The town itself feels a lot like Kingston, with old colonial buildings next to the water.

Fremantle Town Hall and half of Chris' head.

Part of Fremantle town square.  The area between the posts is actually a road - such a nice road that we didn't realise it until a car was driving up to us tourists standing around shooting photos.
But Kingston doesn't have palm trees like these ones:

Husband and the Palm Tree
We managed to find a furnished apartment to live in.  It is located within walking distance of the Fremantle Hospital and the train station.  It is also next to a Woolworths (like Loblaws), Target (yes, Tar-jay, but 1980's K-mart style),  and Australia's version of Best Buy called Dick Smith's.  It isn't exactly on the beach, but it has a view of the harbour on one side, and a view of the city's ferris wheel which is lit up at night (Rob Ford, eat your heart out... but you probably already have eaten to heart-attack time anyway.)  I'll post a pic of that later...

Fremantle port harbour, view from our front door.
Our apartment is modest, but has all the basics including wifi and air conditioning - a crucial element since it is 36 degrees today.  Yes, 36 degrees celcius.  I hear it's -15 in Toronto.  Rub it in.  Rub it in like sunscreen on my tan.

The entrance, kitchen, and living room.  Chris has already claimed his station on this ship.

The dining area opens into the living room and door to the balcony.  I get the couch.
Everything in the apartment seemed fine until we were met with this:
Antique Bosch water heater
Alas, I have met ye before.  I knew how to use these things when I was in Mauritius.  But I forgot.  Of three showers so far, only one has been a hot shower.  This will take some work, but I'll figure it out.  It doesn't help that the bottom knob is stuck.

And then, there are these pests....

This is a view from the outdoor hallway, from the 6th floor downwards.  About 3 levels down, a big black bird just sits around and squawks.  They like to squawk at 5am.  The only way I can describe their noise is by "squawking".  Not chirping, not singing, ohhhhh no... squawking.  Wait until around 0:16 when it really starts to pick up.  I don't know what these birds are called, but I'd like to know if there are any Australian laws against shooting them.  If anyone knows what these birds are, please tell me!

Upcoming posts: 
Australia Day celebrations and the Australian love of 1980's high-waisted short shorts and cut off belly tops.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Australia Day!!! That's the day you go kangaroo hunting, right? May the odds be ever in your favour.

    ReplyDelete