Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vegemite? Vege-don't.

This week's adventures left us with a bad taste in our mouths. Well, more like my mouth. See the following for our first encounter with the Australian treat, Vegemite

IT BEGINS


Amy has it on good authority that the best way to eat it is to butter up some toast. Butter it up again. Then one to two more butterings, before the final pre-buttering stage is started. Only after can Vegemite be applied in thicknesses not exceeding that of a wet sheet of Kleenex.

Docking procedure in 5...
4...
3...
2...
1...
Docking failed.



Abort.

Abort.

Abort.


Aborted.

The best thing I can say about it is that it tastes.

If you want to know what it's like you should mix a cup of soy sauce and active yeast, soak some toast in it then eat it. I'm sure you'll have an authentic reaction to the experience.

Speaking of experiences, neither of us has ever been to a comic-con before. There's one every year steps from our apartment in Toronto but we've never bothered to see what it's like inside. It just so happens that this week the Australian ComicCon was doing its leg in Perth, so we decided to see what's up.

(In case you don't know, comic cons are conferences where fans of comics, science fiction and fantasy media get together and celebrate their love of comics, science fiction and fantasy media. Sometimes they get dressed up.)

It was a three day weekend affair ending on Sunday. We took the train to Perth and for a minute, we didn't know where to find the conference center where the comic con was taking place. Then we saw a guy wearing a "It's all fun and games until someone gets vaporized" t-shirt who had a really scraggy beard and looked like he might benefit from a screening mammogram program. We followed him for 3 blocks and lo and behold...

THE CON.

 I thought by Sunday all the nerds would be tired out from lugging their replica Conan the Barbarian swords around, but I was wrong. The line up was HUGE. I'd neglected to make note that the cosplay contest didn't start until after we got there. Also, it was autograph and picture time with con celebrities William Shatner, Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver), Jason Momoa (Conan), and somebody from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

But my favourite celebrity was Australian Batman.

He's just like normal Batman except he says "No worries, mate".


Card playing area. There is a man in a duck suit. At the same time, I know why and I also don't know why.
 There was a guy passed out on the floor near the lazer tag arena. The people with him said he was fine, just had a little too much stimulation and cherry Coke. I don't know if that really was the problem, but Amy understood. She had some kind of absence seizure when she saw this rotating Exorcist ice cream clown head.



snap out of it wife
Star Wars riff raff. I think from right to left they are a Tusken Raider, a TIE fighter pilot, and ahhh I can't find them on Wookiepedia so I dunno.
Did somebody call the Ghostbusters? Anybody?

After wandering around a while we both got tired and decided to call it quits. There weren't as many people dressed up as I thought there would be and it was really crowded. I was standing behind one guy dressed up as Darth Maul and his friend dressed up like a Wookie who were looking for their companion. "Don't worry," I heard Darth say. "This will get his attention." He lit up his lightsaber and waved it around in the air. Unfortunately, there were like a thousand other glowing lightsabers being waved around. I don't think Darth and Wookie ever found their friend...

But on the way home Amy found some goggles. She's going to take some swimming lessons.


2 comments:

  1. I have an Australian colleague at work who brings vegemite to grand rounds on a friday morning. They go nuts for that stuff. Anyway, she stinks out the place. I'm pretty sure she's covering for a chronic yeast infection.
    Does Amy ever get to write??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think now that I have a regular job Amy will have to pick up the slack a bit. When you're a stay at home dad with no kids you tend to have lots of time to blog. About nauseating foodstuffs.

    ReplyDelete